OE 6 Backup question

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
Jeff G

Post by Jeff G »

I need to reinstall the OS (Windows XP) on my parents computer (why they think I know so much about this stuff is beyond me). They have saved emails on Outlook Express that are very important to them (ie I'm dead meat if they get lost). From reading your tutorial, it seems as though FBackup4 (Free) will just save the folders and subfolders, but I will have to manually reinstall the actual accounts (there are 3 of them). Am I correct?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
You can use the Outlook Express plugin from FBackup. It will back up:

Email folders
account settings
signatures
message rules
blocked senders
general settings stationary
address book

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

Jeff G

Post by Jeff G »

I think I may have made a mistake by using "Mirror" instead of zip to backup Outlook Express, as restore is not restoring created folders nor what was in them. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I backed up the My Documents folder and restored it without a problem using the same method as I did for OE. Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff G

Post by Jeff G »

I will add that there is one folder and it's contents in particular that I need very badly (family tree dating back to the 1600's). I also tried only restoring that file to no avail. Is there any way to extract that file from the backup image and convert it to a readable format? I am nearly illiterate in computer lingo, so please speak accordingly.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
Please make sure OE is closed when you perform the restore.

You can also extract the backup files using WinZip.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html