Backup Outlook Express data

Post tutorials on using FBackup, or ask a "How Can I" question
Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Summary

This backup article explains how to backup Outlook Express emails and settings, not Microsoft Outlook (for Microsoft Outlook, read the tutorial here: Microsoft Outlook Backup).
On this page:
How to configure a backup for Outlook Express in FBackup

Backup limitations for locked or open files
Details

Outlook Express emails are stored in .dbx files. For each folder in Outlook Express a .dbx file exists. In order to have a complete backup of Outlook Express data, is not enough to back up all .dbx files. Outlook Express data that must be backed up consists of several items:
- for each Outlook Express Identity:

- Email Folders

- Account Settings

- Signatures

- Message Rules (if used)

- Blocked Senders (if any)

- Stationary

- Address Book (if used)

How to configure a backup for Outlook Express in FBackup
Outlook Express data is stored in “.dbx” files. For each mail folder defined in Outlook Express a .dbx file is assigned.
Steps needed to configure the backup:

Open FBackup and select File->New Backup Wizard (Ctrl+N).
On the first page enter a name for the backup in the Name field and choose backup destination. Press Next
From the Selection of files and folders drop-down list, select Outlook Express. Press Next.
Select how do you want to backup.
Press Save->Save and run to start backing up Outlook Express.

The backup job can be scheduled to run at a specific date and time. You can read an article about how to schedule a backup job at this address: How to use the scheduler

Backup limitations for locked or open files
Backup4all uses the Volume Shadow Copy service that allows you to back up local open files from NTFS partitions under Windows XP/2003 Server/Vista. Therefore you can back up Outlook Express (OE) without closing it if certain requirements are met:

computer is running Windows XP, Windows 2003 Server or Windows Vista
OE data is not being backed up via the network
OE data is located on a NTFS formatted partition
the VSS (Volume Shadow Service) is running and is properly configured

If any of the requirements above is not met, Outlook Express has to be closed before backing up the data (otherwise files that are in use will be skipped).

Applies to:

- FBackup 4

- Microsoft Outlook Express 5

- Microsoft Outlook Express 6

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

winston.707

Post by winston.707 »

Thank you so much for this article, it is really useful, I can't believe I only found and joined this forum now, there are answers to so many questions that I've been asking myself and couldn't find an answer to. I use FBackup 4 and Microsoft Outlook Express 6 so these instructions fit perfectly and backing up your emails is always useful, I have a lot of important stuff in there, so thanks!

james09

Post by james09 »

Thanks for the article.It has provided lot of information.I am feeling lucky to join in this site.

James005

Post by James005 »

I wish to backup my Outlook Express files. Does choosing New Backup Wizard affect the original backup settings or does it add to them?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
Using the "New backup wizard" you can create a new backup job. You should use a backup job for Outlook Express, another job for documents and so on.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html