slow lan speed

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
yayay

slow lan speed

Post by yayay »

Hi all, I'm a noob in the forum but not with the program; I need some help please.

I just set up a new system and, as I'm using the old house powerlines with a pair of TP-LINK 4020, I have some expected drop of quality - out of the theoretical maximum 12,5 MB/s I rarely reach a transfer rate of 8 MB/s - but it's stable between 6-7. Now, I created a new job to back up a folder of images over the LAN and it never reaches more than 2-3 MB/s. The network utilisation is less than 30%, even drops down at 3%, and the job takes ages. If I stop the job and test the network speed, all is working normally, it's just the job that doesn't. I've tried changing the LAN and NIC setting, all to no avail, I 've also unticked "smart" in advanced mode, nada. So, any ideas how I can make this work?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Just thought to add that copying the same content from/to the same folders in Explorer reaches easily the 7 MB/s limit. It's just inside Fbackup that the slow LAN happens.
EDIT2: ...And it's a mirror of mostly jpg and raw orf files, 500kb to 80mb.
EDIT3: ...And finally, I hope, both systems w764, no firewalls, CPU and RAM more than enough; the backup is on a fixed drive.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: slow lan speed

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

What about if you use the Full backup type?

yayay

Post by yayay »

Yes, the full backup performs much better.

I also found out that the speed of both Full and Mirror is proportionally affected by the size of the files: when I backup only folders with images of big filesize, the speed reaches the maximum; with smaller files, the speed is reduced and with very small files the mirror backup is absolutely sluggish. I even tried folders with ebooks from/to the same location, the behavior is similar.

So the question is, do I have to use Full in order to achieve decent speed? No other solution?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

At this moment there is no other solution. Please use the Full backup type.