Scheduler not working (Win 7)

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
ccmj5

Post by ccmj5 »

Two questions: should it be set to LOAD or BACKUP for automatic scheduled backups?
And should MS task manager be set to trigger 'at startup' if the computer is never off (but does log out user)?
Thanks.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
It should be set to Backup.

If the computer never stops, you should not set the trigger "at startup".

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

ccmj5

Post by ccmj5 »

I think we are dialing in on this now (I HAD already changed the trigger from 'at startup' to a specific time...still nothing this morning).
OK, one more question then:
For the MS task scheduler, WHICH .exe file is the task scheduler supposed to point to?
1.) FBackup.exe
2.) fbaSched.exe

or

3.) fbaSchedStarter.exe ??
THANKS

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
fbaSchedStarter.exe

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

ccmj5

Post by ccmj5 »

Ah, I must have missed that instruction. Well,. yesterday I changed it from fb4.exe to fbaSched.exe and it worked this morning. If it keeps working then that's it. If not I'll change it to fbaSchedStart.exe. Either way I think this was the last nugget in the puzzle...thank you VERY much for helping me through this, it shouldn't have been this difficult but Win 7 is new to me and I was unaware of the task library functions.
Great program, quite happy, thank you!

Truxedo

Post by Truxedo »

I can't seem to get it work in Win 7 either. I have mine set to run at startup. The computer is shut down nightly and turned on in the morning but I have yet to get it to start up, even when I change the time to a daily backup at 8:30 a.m. It runs once and then not again the next day.

ccmj5

Post by ccmj5 »

I changed the task manager to go to fbaSchedStart and it seems to be the final key to my particular puzzle.
Thank you very much. mr. admin! :)

ccmj5

Post by ccmj5 »

Damn. Well, I spoke too soon. I thought it was working but alas, it only did it the first day and then then next two, again, it did not. I give up. Off to look for a program that works. Again. :(

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
We cannot reproduce the situation here under Windows 7 OS.

Is the computer state the same in the next days?

ccmj5

Post by ccmj5 »

Not sure what you're asking here.
Perhaps rather than try and replicate this situation, a NEW thread/write up on exactly how YOUR Win 7 is configured would show us where we may not have something set right in Win 7 or where a possible conflict is, since you are able to work it with no problem.
Basically I went to the forum setup instructions here for scheduler and followed them, though they were not written for Win 7, then went to another thread where it was explained how the task scheduler differed and made those adjustments. The I've gone through what we've discussed here. I see nothing that should preclude this working, I am sure it is not fb4 exclusively but likely a conflict somewhere in the two programs/setups. Which of course you would be unable to duplicate there.
I have fb4 scheduled to fire: backup, daily,enabled, as standalone, run with main app, action:default backup,priority high, 5am, daily, schedule task every 1 day,wake computer to run task if asleep. That is all the settings available in fb4, and seems pretty straight forward.
In task scheduler I have the same basic setup with a few other things checked. But rather than enumerate all those why not simply give us an exacte match of your setup that we can replicate here and try to resolve this? THANK YOU.