Scheduled backup does not run

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
andrewk

Post by andrewk »

I have recently downloaded and installed Fbackup 4.4 Build 196 on a *new* HP Pavilion p3624uk single-user PC running Windows 7. I DO NOT switch the PC off at night - but have occasionally rebooted the PC during the day. The power options are set to default which puts the PC to sleep after a period of inactivity. I do not have to log in again when the PC returns from sleep. My user account has administrator privileges and is permanently logged in.
Fbackup looks great and works fine if I kick off backups manually, but I have had no success in getting the internal scheduler to work. I have created a daily backup in mirror mode, set to execute at 4am each day. The scheduler properties are all set to default, with the exception that I have set the Power Management option to wake the computer from sleep to run the backup. I have checked the processes that are running in Task Manager and the Fbackup scheduler fbaSched.exe is running (as is the Windows 7 task scheduler service) . I have had a look in the Fbackup log and the scheduled backup job did not start.
I have had a quick read through other threads on problems with scheduling backs but cannot find anything that seems to help (there is nothing illuminating in schedglu.txt).
Summarising, I have a standard install of the latest version of Fbackup on an almost new PC. I have created a daily backup job and scheduled it using Fbackups internal scheduler to run at 4am each day. It doesn't run.
Where do I go from here? Any thoughts?
Andrew

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
The FBackup scheduler does not work if no user is logged on.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

andrewk

Post by andrewk »

As you can see from my original post, "My user account has administrator privileges and is permanently logged in."
Andrew

andrewk

Post by andrewk »

I gave up trying to get the internal scheduler to work and set up the Windows 7 Scheduler to kick off the backup, using fbaSchedStarter.exe as explained in one of the tutorials. The Win 7 scheduler woke the PC from it's slumber at the correct time and executed the command string exactly as it should. It reported success - but Fbackup didn't actually start and make the backup!!!!
To check that the command string was correct, I typed exactly the same command into a DOS box and guess what ..... Fbackup started in front of my eyes and kicked off the backup. Perverse or what? Sorry, Mr Admin, I've given up and uninstalled Fbackup. The Syncback scheduler works straight out of the box without any fiddling, so why cannot Fbackup? I'll check back in a day or so to see if anything has occured to you that might help me to get it working.
A question for anyone else reading this ............ does the Fbackup internal scheduler work on your PC? Did it work after a default install?
Andrew

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
It seems there is a problem on your computer because neither the Windows scheduler or the Standalone scheduler does not work for you.

When you set up the scheduler using Windows scheduler there isn't FBackup scheduler involved. Windows has to start FBackup. If that's not happening, you should see what is the problem on that computer.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

andrewk

Post by andrewk »

Sorry, but there is no fault on my computer. Scheduled backups using Syncback work perfectly, every time. As I said, I have now uninstalled Fbackup. Life is too short ..........
Bye
Andrew

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
In such situations you should try scheduling another application (Notepad) to start using the Windows scheduler. If it works fine, that application should be started. If the scheduled application does not start, there isn't a problems with Notepad, but with the scheduler.