Mirror Copy missing files, not folders

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
PAN1315

Mirror Copy missing files, not folders

Post by PAN1315 »

I have been using fBackup for years. My desktop recently crashed, when I tried to backup to the new computer only a portion of the original was present. While all the folders were correct, 2/3 of the folders contained no files, they were completely missing. I did not have a complete back up. Unfortunately, I have no idea when or what version I was using when this problem occurred. I lost about 2/3 of what I thought I was backing up. Now when I back up from the new computer, I must double check that all folders and files have actually transferred. I was hoping FBackup would be more reliable.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Mirror Copy missing files, not folders

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

If the folders were empty, that means the files were excluded from that backup or they could not be backed up. If the files could not be backed up, a warning or error message is displayed. Have you seen such a message?

Andreas Vasiliou

Post by Andreas Vasiliou »

I have recently also discovered this issue accidentally and now I am checking and yes there are sometimes files that are not backed up even though they are in my folder I am backing up from. I have also had the blank folders issue. So I backup manually now. I haven't quite worked it out. This started in Version 6 and continues in Version 7.
Luckily I haven't had a crash to discover this issue.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

1. Please make sure you use the latest version of FBackup 7.2.349 as we fixed the empty folders issue.
2. In Backup Properties->Advanced page, uncheck the "Smart file scanning mode" option, press Save and run again the backup. Are all the files included in backup now?

Andreas Vasiliou

Hi Softland
I am using the same build (349)

My problem is not the empty folders as much as seemingly not backing up some files. I have figured out that for one of my backup setups called “C Drive OneDrive to E Drive (Black)” in version 7.2 I checked “Copy files in a subfolder” under the “Type” section thinking this may have been the issue for my previous problems.

It took me a couple of hours to notice that what this actually did was to create a new folder in my disk called “C Drive OneDrive to E Drive (Black)” and all my up-to-date files were backed up there.

As I was not expecting to have this folder I continued to look where I thought the files should have been only to notice that they are out of date and therefore I thought the backup was not working.

Can I suggest you add a little “(i)” (info) like you have in other areas explaining what this option does as it was not evident to me? I thought it was forcing the software to also backup subfolders.

Another I am not sure about is under “Destination” > “Rotate disks”.

This is how my back ups work. Can you let me know if I need this?

I have a setup that copies my OneDrive files minus the Pictures to a folder called “Andreas” on a 2TB disk (E: Drive).

I also have one that copies the Pictures to the MEDIA folder on the 2TB. And I have one more which picks up other misc folders. All these end up on this 2TB disk.

I then have three other 2TB disks. A RED (F: Drive), SILVER (F: Drive) and a BLUE (F: Drive) all at different locations off-site. Each week I pick up a different disk to back up from my original 2TB (E: Drive) to these off-site disks (F: Drive). I have created a setup for each off-site disk like “E Drive to F Drive – SILVER”, “E Drive to F Drive – RED” and “E Drive to F Drive – BLUE”.

A while ago I just had one called “E Drive to F Drive” and I used that for all three until I noticed it was not updating all the files.

Would have “Destination” > “Rotate disks” helped with my old “E Drive to F Drive” and do I now need to check that option if I have three separate setups as outlined above (one for SILVER, RED and BLUE)??

Many thanks.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

The "Rotate disks" option should not appear and it was removed from FBackup, as it works only in combination with the "Use local catalogs" option disabled.
FBackup does not include that feature, as it is available only in our commercial edition: Backup4all.

As for the OneDrive backup, please note Microsoft changed the way OneDrive works. Files are no longer saved locally, unless you change a setting in the OneDrive program - "Save Space and Download Files As You Use Them". This is turned on by default. Turning it off causes OneDrive to keep a local copy, which can be backed up.

Andreas Vasiliou

Thank you for the reply and clarifying my queries.

PAN1315

Post by PAN1315 »

On the source the folders have files, on the 'mirror' back up, the folders are there (empty), the files are not. It is not giving me a mirror back up as a vast majority of files are missing. No error messages, I run the back up several times and the files are not backed up. It started in Build 6 and moved to build 7. I had to start over fresh to get a complete mirror back up. This is a big problem, as now I must manually check to make sure all the files have back up.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi PAN1315,

Please send us the last backup log to info[at]fbackup[dot]com

omnimedia

Post by omnimedia »

Hi softland,

I have the same problem here, I follow yours recommendations in this topics but non success.

Do you have a solution about that?

Thks and have a great day!
Pier