Mirror backup issue on New Install of fbackup

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
rdarlin2

Mirror backup issue on New Install of fbackup

Post by rdarlin2 »

I manually copied files to an external hard drive as part of a backup before installing this software.

Creating a backup job with fbackup, to mirror one of the folders on an internal drive to my external usb drive (where I had just manually copied all the files in this folder - so they exist in both locations with the same file properties).

Issue is that the new backup job attempts to recopy all files to the external drive, instead of simply noting they already exist there, and moving on.

I don't want to go through re-copying all 250GB of data - how do I get the program to skip files that already exist??? I thought a 'mirror' type of job would do that.
I have selected both check boxes within the mirror setup : Create full paths, and Remove excluded or deleted files

Rich

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Mirror backup issue on New Install of fbackup

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Please send us the last backup log and the (.fkc) backup catalog for that job, to info[at]fbackup[dot]com

rdarlin2

Post by rdarlin2 »

Note:

Files on the external HD have the same 'Date Modified' as the files on the internal drive... but those I had manually copied to the external HD before installing fbackup DO have a different 'Date Created' - which is the date I had copied them to the external HD. Also - both drives are formatted NTFS.

Rich

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

FBackup is using its own backup catalog to keep information about the backed up files.
If you manually copied the files there, FBackup won't recognize them. All files will be backed up.

Onthuhlist

Post by Onthuhlist »

You had an issue with it recopying 250GB? I just went through this with 5TB!! It would be nice if Fbackup told you up front that it would overwrite the data the first time. Especially since it gives the error checking option of checking the files' checksums, it would seem pretty easy for Fbackup to build its database by CHECKING and COMPARING the files from source and destination. Would've saved me 13 hours of doing the initial copy manually if I knew Fbackup was going to needlessly overwrite the destination files that were already there in place.

Short-sighted programming lives!

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

FBackup can restore the large zip files it creates. If you use the Full backup type, only the latest backup version is preserved.
If you use the Mirror backup type, the existing files are preserved and only new/modified files will be added to backup.

FBackup uses its own catalog to determine which files needs to be backed up. It does not help if you manually copy the files in destination as the catalog is not created based on the existing files in destination but based on the files backed up with FBackup.