Drive disappeared, backup deleted!

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
biologic

Post by biologic »

By the way, excellent software. I have always been very happy with it, and had to use it twice already to restore from hd failure. On to my problem...
The other day, I was working on a music project when my program told me a set of samples could not be found. I went to Windows Explorer to locate them, and realized that the entire F: drive had disappeared. It was simply gone from view!
I immediately shut down the computer, opened it up and made sure all my hd cables were firmly plugged in. When I rebooted, the drive was back! However, when my 5pm scheduled FBackup job started, I realized it was re-adding everything from my F drive to the backup drive (G:). This leads me to believe that the previous day during the 5pm backup (while my F drive was "gone"), FBackup had removed all those files from the copy!
I lucked out and did not lose any data, but this seemed to me a potentially serious design flaw! If in the future I lose a drive because it actually goes bad, will FBackup delete those files from the backup copy? This would defeat the purpose. If a drive cannot be found, can the program pause and show an error message before proceeding? I can't feel safe using a backup program if it can potentially delete my files. I hope this makes sense.
Thanks.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
It seems you use the Mirror backup type with "Remove excluded or deleted files from backup" option enabled.

If the source files were missing they were removed from backup.
In our commercial version of the application (Backup4all), there is an extra option to remove excluded files only if the source drive is available.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

biologic

Post by biologic »

Ah, I see. And which versions of Backup4all include this feature?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
The Professional and Standard editions of Backup4all include that feature.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html