Cannot backup files with names having characters not exist in the current locale

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
albertwyy

Post by albertwyy »

Cannot backup files with names having characters not exist in the current locale of Windows?

-----

Hello, it seems that FBackup cannot backup files with characters not exist in the current locale of Windows.
For example: the following is an extract from one of the logs:
[7/4/2009 13:49:22] Warning: Skipping file D:\DATA\Jobs\CICPA\经济法注?会??.ppt

Source error (code 123). 檔案名稱、目錄名稱或磁碟區標籤語法錯誤。.
The current locale of Windows (a copy of Windows XP Home, actually) is "Chinese (Taiwan)". The question marks shown above are actually Simplified Chinese characters that are not within the "Chinese (Taiwan)" locale (but probably in "Chinese (PRC)" instead).
So, question: is FBackup NOT a Unicode enabled software?
P.S. I don't want to change the locale of Windows just to backup those files. What if I have files with names having characters in other locales?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
FBackup is not yet Unicode. We have plans to make an Unicode version but I cannot give you an exact date when it will be available.

At this moment, the solution is to change the Language for non-Unicode programs in order to back up those files.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

albertwyy

Post by albertwyy »

Hmm, I see. Thanks for your kind response :)