Can't access USB drive

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
michaelv7654

Post by michaelv7654 »

Ok, I managed to instal the program OK and get over the ini file problem with the latest version of your program but now I find I cannot access my USB drive for some reason.
I follow the instructions down to the advanced section where it allows me to select an external drive but there's no drive in the dropdown list even though my usb drive is in and accessible and I can read the files already on it.
I tried restarting your program but no difference - I tried taking out the USB drive and putting it back in but still no change.
Any ideas?

cheers,

michael v

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi Michael,
Are you trying to use an external USB drive or a removable drive?

Please note that removable drives are not allowed as backup destinations.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

John R

Post by John R »

But it is shown on your Demo Video. I only want to backup small amount of data.

michaelv7654

Post by michaelv7654 »

Dear Admin,

I only just noticed your response (after a long day at work) - so sorry for the delay.
I have a USB flash drive (8GB in capacity) - this is the type you can use to backup stuff and take it with you for use in other computers. Portability is their main advantage. Just in case the terminology is different these drives are the small ones that can be attached to your keyring (or similar). They are also be called memory sticks.
I thought your software allowed these devices?

Regards,

Michael V

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Dear Michael,
The USB drive you are trying to use is a removable one. This destination type (removable drive) is not yet available in FBackup. We will think about adding such a feature: to use the removable drive as backup destination.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

billjansen

Post by billjansen »

This is really cool backup/restore utility.....and the lack of recognition of a usb stick is just such a shame.....in many ways the usb stick is now the essence of a good backup solution....of course there are ways around this shortcoming ..but just to able to use these ever-so-common devices would round off this product wonderfully
Bill J 25th Feb 2009

dkuester

Post by dkuester »

Yes, this looks like a nice tool - but without being able to use a USB key it is pretty useless for me. Prices for those keys are going down and down. I just bought a cheap 16gb key which is large enough to back up all my essential files at work and finally(!) take everything home as needed. Please look into this missing function...

fbackup.user

Post by fbackup.user »

ggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Man why is free software such a pain the arse sometimes?
I bought a 16gig USB stick for 20 bucks. I have Windows XP. First I tried NTBackup and the darn thing craps out at a 4GB backup file and won't create multiple files to the same media.
Then another product works with the USB stick just fine but the darned thing does not have shadow copy.
then FBackup looks like dah bomb but the dumb software won't recognize my USB stick???? What's the diff between an external drive I can unplug as quickly as a USB stick??? Man I just don't get software developers sometimes.
Guess I am going to have to buy something. Ida know. The search continues...

epithet

Post by epithet »

@fbackup.user
Have you tried using the free Open-Source program True Crypt [] for your backup?
1. You can use the software as a portable application (only ~4Mb in size)

2. You can create secure containers in the remaining space i.e. virtually your 16Gb

3. When you mount your container it appears as a Local Disk

Therefore...

4. You can use your USB stick for backups :-)
As a bonus:

5. Encrypts your backup so if you lose your USB stick you need to don't panic
Note: If you are interested in doing this here are 2 quick tips:

1. Only 'Extract' the files when running the TrueCrypt application

2. Use Traveller Mode as it can save you some hassle

epithet

Post by epithet »

p.s. Here's the link

www.truecrypt.org