Wrong backup file number in Restore

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
KenWA

Post by KenWA »

I have had to restore from my daily backup twice recently and on each occasion the process failed with an error message that it could not find XX_C.zip where XX was a number way below the actual number of the latest backup. There is an easy workaround by changing the number of the backup file to XX_C.zip but this is inconvenient and there seems to be a fault somewhere. Can anyone explain this or offer suggestions to correct the situation?

Thanks

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
Can you see that XX_C.zip file in destination?

It seems one of the backups needed for restore is missing from the destination.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

KenWA

Post by KenWA »

Yes, the XX_C.zip file is the only file in the destination folder. I have checked this on a number of occasions and the number changes daily in synchrony with my daily backups. It just seems that when the program goes for a restore it uses an old, incorrect number ?based on the date. There are no missing backups. I have also on other occasions been able to open the zip file and recover individual files and these were the correct files based on the backup date ( and hence number).

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
Please put the backup catalog file into a zip archive and send it to info[at]fbackup[dot]com

To find the backup catalog, go to View->Open Folder->Destination Folder.

Also tell us the exact name of the existing file in destination.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

KenWA

Post by KenWA »

Hi,

I am not quite sure what you mean by 'catalog file' but if this is the file(s) listed when I go to View/Open Folder/ Destination Folder then I cannot send this as the zipped file is 16MB. Even the individual backup zip files (I have two, one of data from the C drive and the other data on the D drive) are too large to e-mail. In any case these files contain all my private data and are not the sort of thing I would send off since anybody could unzip and read the data.

I ran a check today and asked FBackup to restore from the backup I did last night (numbered 50) and it did not give an error message. Which makes the two previous episodes even more inexplicable.

For the time being I shall leave things as they are since I have a workaround solution.
Thanks anyway.

Adrian (Softland)

The catalog file is the bkc file. If you zip the file, you will be able to attach it to email.