Why does it not keep the backup up-to-date after backing up?

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
aegea1984

Why does it not keep the backup up-to-date after backing up?

Post by aegea1984 »

I'm making a change/deleting a file in my source folder, and then backing up entire folder, but the deleted file still exists in destination (backup) folder. Why does it now update the destination folder after backing up? :cry:
Thank you

Jim Rockford

Re: Why does it not keep the backup up-to-date after backing up?

Post by Jim Rockford »

My answer: Fbackup isn't working correctly. I hate to be too critical of free versions of anything, but this software is downright dangerous if you value the files you're backing up and expect a "mirror" backup to have the same files as the source.

Tonight I did an experiment with a Mirror-type backup using the latest v7.2 (as of 04/15/2018). In a directory from the source, I renamed an existing sub-directory and moved some files into it, and deleted a couple sub-directory folders. I then ran the supposed mirror backup. What transpired was nothing like I expected. The folder I renamed was not renamed in the backup. None of the files I had moved into the newly-named sub-directory had been moved into the directory in the target with the (still) old directory name. Fbackup did do a couple things correctly, like deleting the folders in the target that I had deleted from the source. It's a crap shoot apparently.

Am I mistaken that Fbackup "mirror" is supposed to be able to handle source modifications of this sort? I mean, we all rename directories once in a while don't we? Unfortunately, at present I have no confidence that Fbackup is mirroring my source properly. I had to change the backup from "mirror" to "full backup" to get what I expected. I do not wish to run a "full" backup every time, however.

For the record, here are some of the options I chose for the mirror backup:

Fast Mirror
Remove excluded or deleted files from the backup
Copy NTFS security permissions

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

@aegea1984
In Backup Properties->Type, was the "Remove excluded or deleted files from backup" option selected?
If not, please select it and make sure there is at least one file/folder to be backed up, so the backup to run and the files in destination to be removed.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

@Jim Rockford

Hi,

Was the renamed (new folder name) included in the backup sources? If not, it will not be backed up.
If yes, please send us the .fkc catalog file from the backup destination and also the last backup log to info[at]fbackup[dot]com