Thoughts on Scheduler Architecture

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
izor

Post by izor »

Well, I have no clue of the actual application design, so I don't expect to be correct. However, if my words have some truth, then it is better to be heard...
I noticed that application requires elevation of priviledges when UI starts. If fbaSched.exe is a service, then why do I have to elevate to admin just to connect to a local service? I noticed that service runs as under my user id instead of Local System account. I am sure running under my user ID will work fine until I want to backup another user's files.
I personally think that interacting with Operating System scheduler is a better way to go. In fact that's what Vista's native backup does. One simply has to create task with a reference to a job config file and schedule to run it as an appropriate user. It is not that difficult to control scheduler even via .NET API.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
You can use the FBackup scheduler or the Windows scheduler to set up the scheduled tasks. The FBackup scheduler will run only if the user is logged on. To back up another user's files you must have permission access to those files.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html