schedule with no password

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
cspgsl

Post by cspgsl »

"If your user account does not have a password you must select the Allow blank passwords when scheduling option from Tools->Options->Preferences."
Problem is, I don't see that option anywhere; either in Fbackup or Windows Scheduled Tasks
Works fine when I use a password but I don't want to run a password on my computer

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
You don't need to use a password for backups. The scheduled jobs should run without using a Windows password.

The information you posted from Help file is no longer valid and will be corrected in the next release.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

jgodfrey

Post by jgodfrey »

> You don't need to use a password for backups.
Hmmm... I don't think that's true. Using Win XP Pro (SP3), my default account doesn't have any password. When I try to schedule a job in FB, it fails to start. My system has another admin-level account complete with password just for this purpose, so I went to the Windows scheduler and changed the FB job to use the other account and password. In that case too, it fails to run properly, though I'm not sure why.
Finally, I created a password for my normal User account, and rescheduled the job through FB. Again, it failed to run, as there's no way to define the password through the FB interface. In order to get the scheduled job to run automatically, I finally had to go into the Windows scheduler, edit the job created by FB, and enter the newly assigned Windows password.
Now, the job runs as expected, but it's not very convenient, as it doesn't seem to be possible to successfully schedule a job from within the FB interface. At the very least, I have to go into Windows scheduler, open the FB job, and add my User password.
Any advice?
Jeff

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
You don't need any password to schedule a backup job with FBackup.

Please make sure you have the latest version of FBackup installed (now is build 133).

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

jgodfrey

Post by jgodfrey »

> You don't need any password to schedule a backup job with FBackup.
I know I can *schedule* a backup within FB without a password. The problem is, that scheduled job (in Windows scheduler) doesn't run. I've read many places on the web that WinXP won't allow a scheduled job to run against an account with no password, and that's just what I see with a job scheduled from within FB, since I can't define the account password from the FB interface.
> Please make sure you have the latest version of FBackup installed (now is build 133).
Hmmm... I have 131, which doesn't find any updates available. Looking at the website, I only see 131 listed also. Where do I get 133?
Jeff

Adrian (Softland)

The latest build is now uploaded.

You can download it from: http://www.software112.com/products/fba ... nload.html

jgodfrey

Post by jgodfrey »

OK,
I just installed build 133, which does now work as expected, though I've still got a few questions. First, here's what I did:
- Exited from FB 131

- Removed my Windows User password (that was only added to get FB backups to work as explained above)

- Restarted FB 133

- Removed the currently scheduled FB backup job

- Created a new FB schedule for my job
Now, the new job does run as expected. The thing that I find odd is, monitoring the Windows Scheduler dialog, just as the new FB job fires off, its "status" changes to "Could not start" (in Win Scheduler). The job finishes successfully, but the Windows scheduler status still reads "Could not start" and the "Last Run Time" is shown as "Never". FB seems to have a strange relationship with the Windows Scheduler...
Is that expected?
Ultimately, build 133 *does* work as expected, so that's great. I just find some of the details strange...
Any additional input appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
The "Last run time" is not available for FBackup scheduled tasks. Even if FBackup scheduled tasks are stored with Windows Scheduled tasks, they are different.