Opt Out of "anonymous usage statistics"?

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
Muad`Dib

Opt Out of "anonymous usage statistics"?

Post by Muad`Dib »

While the installation screen allows one to uncheck the sending of anonymous usage statistics, the license agreement doesn't mention opting out. In fact it says:
10. Consent to anonymous use of data
You agree that Softland may collect and use anonymous technical data and related information, including but not limited to technical information about your operating system, that is gathered to facilitate the provision of software updates and other services to You (if any) related to the SOFTWARE. Softland may use this information to improve its products or to provide services or technologies to You as long as it is in a form that does not personally identify You.
and
11. Entire Agreement
This agreement is the final, complete and exclusive agreement between you and SOFTLAND that supersedes any prior agreement or understanding, whether written or oral, relating to the subject matter of this license.
Clause #11 seems to indicate that even if you opt-out when installing, Clause #10 still applies, and that you are still consenting the sending of anonymous data. If you do actually allow opting-out, would you please update your license agreement to indicate that this is an option? Otherwise, maybe remove the 'opt-out' checkbox during install (since if you do retrieve anonymous data, the checkbox provides a false option)?

Thanks.

UPDATE: I notice this is the same with Backup4All. While I can accept the possibility of giving up some data for a free program (I may not do it, but other people may be okay with it), I think for a paid program the ability to completely (and unambiguously) opt-out should be available. If you allow it for both programs, but simply haven't updated your license agreements, then good for you (and post a reply when they are updated)! :mrgreen:

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Opt Out of "anonymous usage statistics"?

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

If you Opt Out, it also applies to installation statistics.
We will update EULA.