How to configure daily FULL backup (zip file) to OVERWRITE instead of add/delete?

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
gilbertg

How to configure daily FULL backup (zip file) to OVERWRITE instead of add/delete?

Post by gilbertg »

Hi, I have a really simple question, I am currently using the FBackup FREE version, and have configured a daily backup on a folder to backup using FULL (compressed ZIP file). And everything works great, but everyday it creates a NEW FILE in the destination ex "mybackup.1_C.zip", then next day it creates NEW file called "mybackup.2_C.zip" and DELETES "mybackup.1_C.zip", next day xxx.3_C.zip etc etc.

My question is how can it just create "mybackup.zip" and OVERWRITE the backup everyday instead of adding the incremental suffix, and deleting the previous backup? I get the FREE fbackup doenst allow me to keep "multiple versions" of a backup, only the latest, but can it at least be configured to always have same name and overwrite without deleting?

Thanks a lot in advance anyone for any assistance, I hope someone has a solution.

Cheers!

Adrian (Softland)

Re: How to configure daily FULL backup (zip file) to OVERWRITE instead of add/delete?

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

The backup number and the source drive letter must be included in the zip file name. You cannot change that in FBackup.

gilbertg

Re: How to configure daily FULL backup (zip file) to OVERWRITE instead of add/delete?

Post by gilbertg »

Ok thanks for the reply, so are you saying even in the PAID/PRO version I still could not do the strategy I mentioned in my previous post? That is FULL ZIP BACKUP, but overwrite daily with exact same name?

Thanks again, once you confirm I know all my options now.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

You can configure FBackup to create every time the same file name: mybackup.1_C.zip
In order to do that, please open Backup Properties->Advanced page. Select the "Run program or action" in the "Run action before backup" section.
Please note you cannot remove "1_C" from the zip file name.

gilbertg

Post by gilbertg »

Hi, thank you for that reply, but are you saying I need to ENABLE "Run program or action", and then select what "Clear backup" from the dropdown? That is the only option I have in that list, but I dont see how this affects anything regarding the backup name.

Next ok you say I cant remove the ".1_C.zip" part, but are you saying it will ALWAYS STAYS 1_C.zip? I mean the "1" will always be "1"? Or this part will continue to increment with every backup, and nothing we can do about that?

Also if you say it WILL KEEP SAME "1"_C suffix, will it DELETE the file and add new, or can it OVERWRITE the file instead?

And lastly please tell me if any of this is only available in PRO FBackup, or everything you are explaining can be done with the free version?

Thanks a lot, I setup a lot of backup strategies with FBackup, and knowing once and for all if I can "keep the SAME NAME (100% even same suffix), and OVERWRITE instead of delete/add" will greatly affect the strategy I implement.

Thank you!

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

The "clear backup" action will delete the existing backup version from destination and catalog. You will start with a fresh new backup every time, that is why the name will always be with 1_C.zip. It will not increment if you use this option.
The old backup will be deleted right before the new backup with the same name will be created in destination.
All these options are available in the free edition of FBackup.